Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Ubuntu Start Up Programs

Nagging issue that I never got around to look at was auto starting applications after a delay in Ubuntu. Depending on the location, my wireless might take a few seconds to authenticate to the router. This delay in some environments would trip up GMail notify and display connection errors. A small issue. After installing firestarter I would get an error dialog box stating that the connection was unavailable.

The solution was presented in an Ubuntu thread located here. So now I have an auto_start folder in my home folder with scripts for each application that requires a delay. In my instance firestarter and gmail notify. In Ubuntu under System->Preferences->Sessions I then point to the above scripts in my auto_start folder.

Not sure if there is an easier solution but the above solution works.

No comments: