Sunday, May 18, 2008

To framework or not to framework

Finishing a code review for a local start-up. The application is fairly complicated out of necessity. The issue is that the site has a number of small bugs and an ongoing issue of a bug fix usually breaking a number of other features.

My first assumption was that the application was a custom job. The application was built using a build from scratch framework. It is the most complex pile of code I've seen in a long time. It's a nice object oriented approach with the concept of a controller and a mix of views and models. This is where the niceness wears off, there are countless layers of abstraction, non conformity to a MVC approach and a hodgepodge of OO code, functional code, OO SQL abstractions and handcoded SQL that is ten times more complicated than it needs to be.

Now off my soapbox, I've done custom frameworks for my PHP work for years. In the past 2 years I have sworn off personal custom frameworks and now utilize Symfony (for complex and controllable environments) and CodeIgnitor (for flexible virtually hosted solutions).

I realize there are detractors to the framework approach. I'm not one of them, one to many times trying to figure out the mindset of the programmer I guess.

No comments: